Monday, November 10, 2014

Just Salt Water And Desert


A song that has really taken my fancy…is the soundtrack for the up and coming movie “Leading Lady” and features an actress from Britain, Katie McGrath and our “home boy” – a well known Afrikaans singer, Bok van Blerk. Perhaps the reason for me really liking this song is that in a way I can relate to this song. A kind of role reversal if you may, in that I picture me in the shoes of the guy and the girl being the guy. To explain myself a lot clearer – I often find myself thinking of a very special guy who was a part of my life a couple of years ago. There are days that I really miss him. He is in London now. So as the video begins the scenes of London are quite apt. The days that I really miss him I would say the words to the song portray the way I feel. The gist of the song is – I will try and translate as best I can from Afrikaans to English – as follows:

I am now just like a man, battered ruins to where there once was life, a heathen whose lips could vanish in yours in a time, in a place, and receive repentance again. The wind pump/wind mill turns but there is nothing but dust in the faucets, I need your love to quench my thirst, because over here there are only tears. (The chorus goes) I am thirsty, I get lost in the streets where I live, I am thirsty, I want to get drunk on your wine, but here where I live it’s just salt water and desert, just salt water and desert. I am now still just like a man, a deserted house where there once was life, walls filled with companionship, at a place, at a time, you were my Oasis in the desert. The windmill turns, I battle to sleep, I need your bosom to rest my head, here’s just stones and sand…chorus 3x…I want to get drunk on your wine.





No comments:

Post a Comment