Friday, February 23, 2018

A Tribute From A Husband To His Wife

Ten years ago today a family member of mine, Candice Webster, got married. Matthew Webster (Candice's husband) wrote this tribute today to his wife. It is so incredibly wonderful that I just have to share it! 

This is Matthew's tribute to Candice:

10 year's ago today, I married my love. Now the last thing i want to do is write a soppy tribute, so I figured I would take the opportunity to write a little something that just may be of value to someone else about to get married, or may be facing challenges in their own. So here is a tribute to my wife:

When we set out on the marriage journey 10 year's ago, I had no idea where it would take us, but i knew that i wanted to take it with you. I learned so much about you in those days of planning a wedding, and mostly on the day of our wedding! You were by far the calmest and most collected person there (I was a bundle of nerves), and you literally created your fairy tale wedding with your own bare hands. And nothing has changed: you are still creating your fairy tale and i am in awe of how you are able to bring your grandest ideas into fruition.

So what have i learned in the past 10 years? Well firstly, marriage is tough. Like anything else of value in life, it takes alot of hard work and commitment to make it work, and even more to make it thrive! If you think the act of getting married is going to "fix" you or your relationship, you are sorely mistaken. Like signing up for a gym membership, the contract means nothing unless you are going to work your ass off to get results.

But most importantly, I have learned that marriage provides a platform for great (and real) growth. When we act in isolation only, then we often dont see our bullshit for what it is. Relationship gives us an opportunity to see our mirrors - the things we dont really want to see - in other people. And non more so than in marriage; and often times this is the very thing that causes marriages to fall apart, as we are not willing to look in the mirror and do the work needed to root out the causes of issues in our lives. And this will only continue to amplify the longer it is left unchecked. Of course some marriages just run their course, and that is ok. It is what it is.

I have also learned that a successful marriage requires great trust, loyalty, respect, sacrifice and a willingness to see something from the other person's perspective. Too often we demand these things of the other person, yet we are not willing to do the same. You need to know that you have a safe space to Be Who You Are with your partner, without judgement, so that you can grow to your fullest potential. In order for a marriage to work, it implies that 2 individuals have consciously chosen to work together to grow to greater heights than they otherwise would have. A very wise man once told me that Light is synergistic in nature. So as beings of Light, when we choose to come together our power is magnified exponentially.

So Candice, today I choose to honour you in front of our friends and family (as we did 10 years ago), and say thank you for helping me grow as I have over the past 10 years. I know that my life would be very different without you, and i would certainly not have progressed as much in terms of understanding Who I Am and what my purpose on this planet is. Most people dont know quite how strong you are nor what you have had to endure in your life, yet you discovered from a very young age that the key to healing lies within you. But you also discovered that we are perfectly divine beings embodied in the flesh, and that our potential is only limited by our thoughts about it. So thank you for being an example of how to live for me and our children, and thank you for loving me enough to truly desire that I step into my fullest potential.

I don't know what the next 10 or 20 or 50 years may bring - in fact we never know how much time we are gifted together on this planet. But i know with every fibre of my being that i wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else but you. I love you. 🙏


Matthew and Candice on their Wedding day.




No comments:

Post a Comment